21 Mar Professor of Sport Management and Business Studies – Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (Netherlands)
Location: Hogeschool van Amsterdam, Hogeschool van Amsterdam, Hogeschool van Amsterdam, Hogeschool
Company: Hogeschool van Amsterdam
For the Faculty of Sports and Nutrition, Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences is seeking a
Professor of Sport Management and Business Studies (0,8 fte)
The Faculty of Sports and Nutrition at Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (AUAS) offers three bachelor programmes: Nutrition, Sportkunde/Sport Studies, and Physical Education. Besides the existing professorships in Nutrition and Physical Education, the faculty is now setting up a professorship linked to Sport Management and Business Studies. This is aimed at strengthening the faculty’s current research portfolio and interweaving the professorship’s research with Sport Management and Business Studies education. Furthermore, the professorship will play a crucial role in the master’s programme, which is currently being developed, and in the faculty’s overarching Centre of Expertise * (CoE) which is called Urban Vitality (UV).
The Sport Management and Business Studies professorship will have a heart for sports and a head for business at its core and will take applied sport management research and education to the next level. The research topics will be strongly linked to the National Sports Agreement (Nationale Sportakkoord) with applied research at the intersection with other universities, the (sports) industry, the government, and the public. The professorship connects the work field and study programmes.
Click here to apply.
We are looking for an inspiring, enterprising professor (f/m/x) with strong communication and collaboration skills, who has a clear vision on practice-based sport management/business research and its impact on education and professional practice. The candidate holds a PhD and ideally has:
- At least 5-10 years’ academic experience, including teaching of sport management and business studies;
- broad and conceptual knowledge of sport management, sport business and leadership (e.g. new business models in sport, the impact of new technologies on sport and the impact of societal changes on leadership in sport);
- extensive experience of conducting and supervising practice-based research;
- extensive experience of translating research results into insights for education and the professional field;
- a track record in successful research applications;
- a track record in building and managing academic research groups;
- a relevant national and international network connected to the world of sport;
- strong communication skills in Dutch and English.
- leads the research/teaching nexus within the two bachelor tracks and the future master’s;
- obtains research funding and grants;
- valorises the research output of the professorship;
- builds and maintains collaborative partnerships at governmental and industry/business level;
- contributes to the development of the MSc in Sport Business & Leadership;
- leads the future MSc in Sport Business & Leadership as academic director;
- teaches part of the future MSc in Sport Business & Leadership programme;
- supervises future postgraduate students during their thesis;
- serves on divisional and university committees;
- contributes to the management of the Sport Management and Business Studies programmes;
- represents the Sport Management and Business Studies programmes within the CoE-UV, and contributes to the Sports Leadership Programme (SLP) as an academic partner.
Your future work environment
Our team is sporty and driven. It is not unusual for team members to arrive by bike, work hard all morning, go for a run at lunchtime and teach again in the afternoon. Our staff members come from Belgium, Cyprus, England, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland, South Africa, Turkey and Zimbabwe; most of them communicate in both Dutch and English. They are united in their belief that student development comes first.
Talent as a basis, diversity as a strength
AUAS wants to be an organisation in which everyone feels welcome, appreciated and at home. As an employer, we believe that the more diverse we are, the better we can perform as a knowledge institution of – and for – the city. We therefore strive to see Amsterdam’s diversity of backgrounds and perspectives reflected in the university’s workforce.
What you can expect from us
- First and foremost, we offer a pleasant workplace in a fun and energetic team.
- Your activities will be part of the organisational function of Professor 2, which is remunerated at salary scale 15 (Collective Labour Agreement for Universities of Professional Education).
- The maximum gross monthly salary for this position is € 7.634,= for a full-time appointment. Your actual salary will depend on your level of education and experience.
- This initial appointment will be on a temporary basis for two years. If we are mutually satisfied at the end of this period, we will discuss a permanent appointment.
- AUAS offers an extensive package of employee benefits, including a generous holiday allowance and payment of a 13th month.
- AUAS offers free and unlimited access to training courses in our online learning environment, GoodHabitz.
Want to know more about this job opportunity?
To apply, please use the link below. If you want to receive more written information about this job, please contact Anouk van Deursen (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you would like to discuss this role in more detail, feel free to contact Katelijne Boerma, Programme Manager, on +31 6 31791327 / email@example.com.
Would you like to become our new colleague?
Tell us why! Click on the link below to apply before April 9th. Please note: We will only process applications submitted via this link.
What else you need to know
- All interviews will be conducted partly in Dutch and partly in English on campus in Amsterdam;
- Interviews: the first round will be held on May 10th and second round on May 17th;
- This vacancy has been published simultaneously internally and externally. In the event of equivalent suitability, internal candidates will be given preference over external candidates;
- The AUAS Job Application Code applies during this vacancy’s recruitment and selection process. No agencies please.
* Under the auspices of the Urban Vitality programme, 18 professors (including professors by special appointment) are working together intensively on a number of core programme themes with a view to improving the health and lifestyle of Amsterdam residents. The five core themes of the Urban Vitality programme range from delivering urgent and highly specialised care for vulnerable hospital patients, to professional sport.