The EASM Board officially announced that Ulrik Wagner from Københavns Universitet – University of Copenhagen is honoured with the Distinguished Service Award of the European Association for Sport Management (EASM) in 2021. Ulrik has been involved for many years in EASM and lead the EASM PhD Student Seminar for nine years. In this capacity, he provided guidance and mentorship for more than 100 PhD students over the last years and helped them to successfully finished their PhD.
“I am deeply grateful for this prestigious award and would like to thank my colleagues for the award reception, which comes as a complete surprise for me. I feel very honoured”, said Ulrik directly after the announcement.
The EASM Distinguished Service Award was presented to Ruth Crabtree during the 27th European Sport Management Conference in Seville. EASM honorary President Per Göran Fahlström described the award winner as one of the unsung heroes, who stay in the background while being most important drivers for the development of the association. Ruth Crabtree has fulfilled the award criteria by far:
- Contribution to an uncountable number of EASM student seminars
- Co-organizer of several EASM summer schools
- Contribution of the development of the EASM White Book
- Development of materials for the EASM awards
- Negotiation of contracts with several partners and sponsors
- Main organizer of the annual EASM conference
- Voluntary EASM Board member for 10 years, including the position as the EASM treasurer as well as the position as EASM vice-president
- Represented EASM in international alliances and co-operations
- Has been the EASM’s representative in the WASM Board in the position of vice –president.
Ruth Crabtree has been professional and showed collegiality and expertise, she has always been acting within a respectful manner, proud of the EASM banner demonstrating the EASM values of inclusiveness, collaboration and integrity. She has been a fantastic team player, who makes her teammates better.
During the 25th EASM Conference, the first EASM Distinguished Service Award was presented to Professor Herbert Woratschek. Professor Woratschek has worked for and helped develop EASM over many years and in many ways:
- He has served on the EASM Board and also the Editorial Board of ESMQ
- Served in many working groups outside of the board to help in our development such as chairing sub-committees and also representing EASM at WASM meetings.
- He was Chair of the Local Organising Committee for the 16th EASM Conference and student seminar
- Initiated our very successful EASM Summer
Most importantly though and above all the work he has voluntarily undertaken for EASM, you can describe Professor Woratschek as simply a very decent, nice, kind genuine guy – values that any organisation would welcome.