Want to become an EASM Board Member?
Do you have a passion to work in sport management? Would you like to extend your international network and improve your inter-cultural skills? Do you “want to give something back to society”? Have you some experience with EASM conferences? Do you like the goals and the culture of EASM? Are you keen to work with like-minded people from across Europe and the globe? Above all, do you want to have fun and bring a bit of humour into your working life? If you respond “yes” to each of these questions, then read on.
The EASM Board is made up of volunteers from across Europe who work together to fulfil the main aims of EASM. To help you decide, below you can find some helpful advice regarding what the activity entails and the criteria needed to become an EASM board member. On the bottom of this page you can find further documents, such as the Application Form and specific Job Descriptions.
• To be able to effectively contribute to the work of EASM and demonstrate excellent teamwork and project management skills
• Be self-motivated and able to work both independently or as part of a team
• Able to take responsibility and to work accurately and methodically
• Possess good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work without day to day direction
• A working understanding of inter-cultural differences
• High levels of enthusiasm and commitment
• Efficient, well organised and systematic
• Friendly and helpful
• As EASM undertakes various work and projects, depending on the competencies of the Board at any given time, specific competencies and skills may be required. Such areas could include: legal knowledge of the industry; practitioner based competencies; research, event management, facility and operational; financial skills; grant applications etc.
• All meetings and correspondence undertaken by EASM are in English; hence, all Board members should have good verbal and written skills.
• Board members are expected to attend three Board meetings per year (Executive Board members’ four meetings per year) at their own expense. Board meetings usually take place during the EASM Conference in September, and also March and December each year. An additional meeting for Executive Board members takes place in June each year.
• Board members will be assigned individual projects and tasks related to the EASM aims and expected to report back regarding developments and progress.
• All Board members are required to be involved in helping to organise and coordinate the key work undertaken by EASM including: the Annual EASM Conference, EASM Student Seminar; EASM PhD Seminar; EASM Summer School; EASM Winter School; the European Sport Management Quarterly and other projects associated with EASM. All members are expected to help write the EASM Annual Report that is presented at the AGM each year.
Application deadline: July 31, 2018. Applications must be submitted to email@example.com
Please be specifically reminded to take the following rules of EASM’s Charters and Bye-Laws into considerations:
Bye-Laws related to Statutes: Article 8. The Board
§8.1 The Board shall comprise the President, the Vice-President, the Secretary, the Treasurer, and seven other members, all of whom shall be elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting. The General Assembly should strive for gender equity on the Board and at least 3 members of the Board shall be male and at least 3 members shall be female.
§8.2 The General Assembly should strive for geographical balance in the membership of the Board and not more than two members of the Board may be from any one country. In determining this Bye-Law, a person may opt to be regarded as being from the country of their nationality or the country in which they live or work. This Bye-Law does not apply to members co-opted in accordance with Bye-Law §8.5.
§8.3 In order to be appointed as a Member of the Board, a person must be a member of EASM and be a citizen of a country in membership of the Council of Europe or live or work in a country in membership of the Council of Europe.
§8.6 Nomination of candidates for election to the Board may be submitted by any two full or institutional members of EASM, who must be eligible to vote at the Annual General Meeting, provided that such nomination is deposited with the Secretary in writing by 31st July prior to the Annual General Meeting. The nomination should specify whether the candidate has been nominated as an Officer (President, Vice-President, Secretary or Treasurer as appropriate) or as an individual member of the Board.
For the complete version of the EASM Charters and Bye-Laws please click here.
Candidate profiles will be published on the EASM website by August 8, 2018.